Skip to main content
Advertisement

Publication of Second Mandelson File Batch Delayed Until After Parliamentary Recess

The UK government delays publishing the second batch of Lord Mandelson's ambassadorial appointment documents until after Parliament's recess, amid concerns over redactions and withheld files.

·3 min read
PA Media Lord Mandelson

Delay in Publishing Second Batch of Mandelson Documents

The second tranche of documents concerning Lord Mandelson's appointment as the United Kingdom's ambassador to the United States will not be published this month.

Chief Secretary to the Prime Minister Darren Jones announced that the papers would be released following Parliament's upcoming recess to allow Members of Parliament (MPs) "sufficient time to review the material."

Update Provided in House of Commons

Jones provided this update in the House of Commons after the committee of MPs reviewing the documents indicated that some files were being withheld and redacted on new grounds.

Jones refuted Conservative allegations of a cover-up, asserting that the government had followed the "normal approach" to redacting files.

Background on Lord Mandelson's Appointment and Controversy

Lord Mandelson was dismissed from his ambassadorial role last year following revelations about the extent of his relationship with the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

In February, MPs voted to compel the government to publish all papers related to the appointment through a parliamentary procedure known as a humble address.

The government initially opposed the motion, citing concerns about releasing material that could compromise national security or diplomatic relations.

However, in a last-minute compromise, the government agreed to first submit sensitive documents to the Intelligence and Security Committee (ISC), which would determine what could be published.

Publication of First Tranche and ISC Review

The first tranche of documents was published in March.

Last week, Lord Beamish, chairman of the ISC, stated that the committee had received 337 documents and had made decisions on all government-requested reductions.

He noted that it was now the government's responsibility to publish the documents within 28 sitting days of Parliament.

Ad (425x293)

Nevertheless, he expressed concerns regarding additional redaction grounds and some documents being withheld.

Concerns Raised by ISC Deputy Chairman

ISC deputy chairman Sir Jeremy Wright raised the issue during an urgent question session in the House of Commons on Tuesday.

He suggested that if the government intended to withhold or redact information not related to national security or diplomatic relations, MPs should provide their consent.

Sir Jeremy, a Conservative former minister, expressed that ISC members had "sympathy with the substantive arguments the government may make for withholding information."

However, he emphasized that MPs "cannot accept that the government is entitled to ignore or to unilaterally alter the terms of the humble address."

He added that if the government considered the humble address "too broad as drafted and needs to be refined," ministers must seek "consent for any alteration" from MPs.

Government Response to Redaction and Publication Timing

In response, Jones indicated that he believed Sir Jeremy's inquiry concerned "personal data collected as part of the security vetting process."

Jones stated that raw data—such as bank account balances—"would never be published."

"If we did so, people would feel unable to answer those questions honestly and frankly," Jones said.

Jones explained that "targeted redactions" had been made "in line with clear precedent set by previous administrations in responding to humble addresses."

"I'm sure members across the House will recognise there is no public interest in the government publishing the names and contact details of junior officials or their telephone numbers," Jones said.

When questioned about whether the documents would be published before the parliamentary by-election in Makerfield in mid-June, Jones replied that the government would "have to secure time in the House."

"I'm ready for this document to be published as soon as we're ready to do so and I've committed to do so after the recess," Jones said.

Parliament is scheduled to go on recess at the end of this week and will return on Monday, 1 June.

This article was sourced from bbc

Advertisement

Related News