Putin Vows Retaliation Following Deadly Drone Strike
Russian President Vladimir Putin has pledged retaliation after accusing Ukraine of conducting a lethal attack on a student dormitory in an occupied area of eastern Ukraine.
Putin reported that six individuals were killed and 39 injured during an overnight drone strike in the town of Starobilsk, located in the Luhansk region. Additionally, 15 people remain missing.
Kremlin-appointed local officials released photographs showing a collapsed building and rescuers searching through the debris.
Ukraine's military stated that it targeted the headquarters of Russia's elite Rubicon drone military unit in Starobilsk.
The BBC has been unable to independently verify the events that took place in Starobilsk.
Putin Details the Attack and Orders Military Response
At a reception held at his Kremlin residence on Friday, Putin described the Ukrainian attack as occurring in three waves, involving 16 drones.
"There are no military facilities, intelligence service facilities, or related services in the vicinity.
Therefore, there is absolutely no basis for claiming that the munitions struck the building as a result of our air defence or electronic warfare systems," Putin said.
He instructed the Russian military to prepare proposals outlining how to respond to the attack.
Russia's state-run television broadcast footage purportedly showing one of the injured students, identified as Diana Shovkun, aged 19.
No images or videos of the individuals Moscow claims were killed have been released.
Ukraine Confirms Attack and Accuses Rubicon Unit
Later on Friday, Ukraine's military acknowledged responsibility for the attack. It accused the Rubicon unit of frequently targeting civilians and civilian infrastructure within Ukraine.
"Ukrainian forces are causing damage to military infrastructure and facilities used for military purposes, strictly adhering to the norms of international humanitarian law, laws and customs of war," the statement said.
Additional Attacks and Casualty Reports
On Thursday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky announced that the headquarters of Russia's security service FSB was struck in the Moscow-controlled area of Ukraine's southern Kherson region.
He reported that approximately 100 Russian "occupiers" were either killed or injured during the strike.
Moscow's military has not issued a comment regarding this incident. However, a pro-Kremlin Telegram channel reported "casualties" following what it described as a "massive drone strike."
Context of Ongoing Conflict and Civilian Impact
Ukraine has consistently accused Russia's military of deliberately targeting civilians since the onset of Moscow's full-scale invasion in 2022, allegations which Russia regularly denies.
Last week, Ukrainian officials reported that 24 people were killed, including three girls, when a Russian missile destroyed a high-rise residential building in the capital city, Kyiv.






